Since Nate loves this Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake so much I decided to change it up a bit for Christmas! ;-)
And, honestly, I like the cranberry version even better! ;-)
This would be perfect for breakfast on Christmas morning or a great hostess gift when staying with relatives while out of town!
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups of cranberries
½ cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
3. Meanwhile, toss the cranberries with ¼ cup of flour in a second bowl.
4. Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt in third bowl.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the cranberries.
4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.